Welcome, healthcare professionals! As we are still in Mental Health Awareness Month, Prospero Health & Social wants to continue improving your wellbeing. In our bustling lives, it is so easy to overlook the importance of nutrition in maintaining a healthy workplace environment and overall happiness. Therefore, understanding the role of healthy eating and implementing these into your daily life can enhance your productivity and lifestyle. So, let’s dive into the world of nutrition!
What is nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of providing the food that’s necessary for health and growth. Eating unhealthy foods can result in health problems such as high cholesterol, diabetes etc. For that reason, adapting good nutritional habits not only decreases those risks but also improves your physical and mental health.
To make informed choices about nutrition, it is important to educate ourselves on the basics of healthy eating. Prospero Health & Social are here to help you understand the nutritional values of vitamins, what you can find them in and new habits.
Vitamin A – Reduces inflammation & is a natural way to slow the aging process. Found in fish, meats, carrots and dairy.
Vitamin B – Converts food into fuel, promotes healthy skin & hair, helps prevent memory loss and migraines. Found in salmon, eggs, leafy greens, milk and beef.
Vitamin C – Boots the immune system, healing wounds. Found in citrus fruits, potatoes, green vegetables, peppers & tomatoes.
Vitamin D – Maintains healthy bones, teeth & muscles. Found in fish, dairy, mushrooms & sunlight.
Vitamin K – Prevents blood clotting. Found in green vegetables, meat, avocado and soft cheeses.
Iron – Produces red blood cells and a healthy metabolism. Found in breakfast cereal, beans, meats, lentils and spinach.
Magnesium – Increases energy and reduces anxiety. Found in nuts, dairy, green vegetables and fruit.
Potassium – Keeps organs healthy. Found in potatoes, mushrooms, pumpkins, meat and beans.
Ways of implementing nutrition into your daily life:
- Strive for balanced meals that incorporate all major nutrients. Plan your meals in advance as it allows you to control the ingredients and portion sizes.
- Practice mindful eating by paying attention to your hunger. Choose healthier options to snack on during the day. In the long run, this will prevent unhealthy cravings.
- Staying hydrated is essential for productivity. Keep a water bottle, and drink regularly.
- Create a supportive environment by sharing healthy recipes or organising wellness challenges.
- Try to go for a minimum 10 minute walk daily for fresh air and sunlight.
By prioritising nutrition and making mindful choices about what we eat, we can significantly enhance our workplace productivity and overall lifestyle. Remember, small changes can make a big difference!